Re: description writing guide

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:33:35 -0800
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I don't see any reason why package descriptions shouldn't be presented
> in variable-width fonts. The right margin might look a bit ragged
> (assuming the program preserves line breaks, which is probably a good
> idea to avoid messing up bulletted lists in the description), but so
> what? Package descriptions don't usually include tabular data that
> would be seriously messed up by variable-width fonts.

Just for looks, and to allow some flexibility on the part of the
description writer.

If variable-width fonts are used, then line breaks shouldn't be
preserved. If they're not going to be preserved, there needs to be a
very specific set of rules as to how lines are joined. These already
exist in code, actually; I believe packages.debian.org joins lines.