Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 05:31:11PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:18, Stephen Zander wrote:
> > The above is based on the false premise that those who send spam are
> > incapable of sending it with (forged) real email addresses.  They
> > already have lots of them to choose from.

This is an existing and well known problem of the current internet mail
infrastructure. Yes, envelope senders and headers can be forged.

> Of course such a spam filter will stop such spam at the cost of doubly
> spamming innocent people who have their addresses forged.
Doubly? I cannot follow.

> It's very anti-social, zero sum game stuff.

Come on, no need to especially blame my mail handling program.  In
another mail you wrote, you don't deliver spam to /dev/null but bounce
it. Where do you think the bounce will end up?  Nothing else is doing my
software, sending a bounce to the envelope sender; there is no
difference.

Gerrit.