Re: Pick a name, any name...

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:39:02PM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Bah, that's what CNAME is for.
>
> that is _NOT_ what a CNAME is for. a CNAME is for when the hostname is
> in a domain that is OUTSIDE of your control.
>
> ie: evil.debian.org -> www.msn.com = CNAME (we don't control the msn.com
> domain)
> forge.debian.org -> quantz.debian.org = A (we control the debian.org
> domain, so we can save the internet by REDUCING THE NUMBER OF
> UNNECESSARY DNS LOOKUPS AND REDUCE THE END USERS DELAY WITH DNS LOOKUP
> REQUIREMENTS)
>
> isn't this a FAQ somewhere?
>
> -john

Except that every major implementation of the DNS protocol in the past ten
years or so has generated a reply that had the A record the CNAME points
to, if it was also authoritative for that record (which, generally, is the
case if it's an in-domain indirection).

And, by the way, that *is* one of the uses of a CNAME. To allow things such
as service names (www, ftp, etc) to point to a single IP, which might have
one of those names, or something else, as it's formal name.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/