Re: Pick a name, any name...

Russell Coker wrote:

> > that is _NOT_ what a CNAME is for. a CNAME is for when the hostname is
> > in a domain that is OUTSIDE of your control.
> >
> > ie: evil.debian.org -> www.msn.com = CNAME (we don't control the msn.com
> > domain)
> > forge.debian.org -> quantz.debian.org = A (we control the debian.org
> > domain, so we can save the internet by REDUCING THE NUMBER OF
> > UNNECESSARY DNS LOOKUPS AND REDUCE THE END USERS DELAY WITH DNS LOOKUP
> > REQUIREMENTS)
>
> How does that save the Internet?

because with a A record one lookup -> IP address(es)
with a CNAME one lookup -> another lookup -> IP address(es)

CNAME cause you to at least DOUBLE the DNS lookups, DOUBLING the
potential timeouts, DOUBLING dns load

can you do it? certainly. should you be aware of the effects WHEN you do
it? yes. you may break the rules only after you understand the rules.

> DNS entries are cached and don't cause that much traffic.

the second and subsequent times, yes. not the first time.

> Having CNAME entries pointing to your own A records is OK, just as having
> symbolic links pointing to your own files on the same file system is OK.

except that a symlink does not impact networks (except in the case of
NFS)

-john