Re: How to validate Debian woody CDs?

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:58:46 +0100
Richard Atterer <deb-devel@list02.atterer.net> wrote:

> First, mount the CD. Just working on the unmounted device doesn't
> always seem to work. Then, try one of two things:
>
>   cat /dev/cdrom | md5sum
>
> Apparently, this is preferable to "md5sum /dev/cdrom" because cat does
> a better job of really reading all the available data - YMMV. I'm not
> sure whether the above will work if more padding was added e.g. by
> cdrecord, so better try the alternative:
>
>   dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1k count=##### | md5sum
>
> where the ##### is the "1k-blocks" value from the output of
> "df /cdrom".

I have tried several procedures (only with CD2):

md5sum /dev/cdrom

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/image
md5sum /tmp/image

dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1k count=8656864 | md5sum

The results were all the same, but not  equal to
http://cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/current/jigdo/i386/MD5SUMS

Yes, I checked the README-files. They say it is woody (unofficial, but that should not be the problem?) and it is for i386. The "youngest" directories are from 18th July. Does anybody know what else could be the reason for the different checksums?

Thanks,
Vera