Re: automatic selection which kernel image to install

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 19:00, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     sean> i would guess not...
>
> /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> Of course if the user doesn't start out using an smp kernel, they
> clearly don't need one.

Not necessarily. One obvious application for this would be in an
installer, which would presumably boot a lowest-common-denominator
kernel for maximum compatibility.

One possible workaround is trying to detect the mobo type and match that
to a list of SMP mobos, but that strikes me as a dodgy solution.

After typing the above I had a squiz in /var/log/dmesg on a handy
non-SMP machine, and what did I find? This:

"SMP motherboard not detected."

Then on a SMP machine, and found this:

"Intel MultiProcessor Specification v1.1"

Hmmmmm.

Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399 / Fx +61 3 9723 4899
GPG key: http://www.ivt.com.au/gpg/jon.oxer.gpg