Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 08:54:29PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 05:07:51PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> >In the origional message, I merely pointed out that keeping such things
> >properly encapsulated is crucial, if you EVER want to be able to run on any
> >other kernel.
>
> Which original message? The one I saw said "Certainly it will have a
> hard time working on any of the BSDs anytime soon, if it relies on devfs
> more than trivially" and "Use of /proc should also, prefferably, be
> limited to traditional /proc items and not the Linux view." You didn't
> say anything about encapsulating them, or using them only where
> appropriate, you just said to avoid them.

I suppose it boils down to what you consider "relies on" to mean. If things
are hidden behind a module that can easily be replaced so that it never
touches devfs, then I don't consider it "rely on" devfs. I said to avoid
*relying on* them, not to avoid *using* them when possible.

> >That's all I'm asking for - careful API design, that tries very hard to
>
> That's what you're asking for now, and it doesn't seem nearly as
> controversial as what you asked for the first time. (Seems pretty close
> to what I said when I suggested you'd have to plug in some
> kernel-specific code for certain functions.)

Which came later.

But I suggest that, at this point, we write it off as a failure of
communication; it would appear that we both want more or less the same
result, and just picked different words for it. Which is unfortunate, but
it happens. Sorry.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/