Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

--- Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:58:25PM -0800, Jon Kent
> wrote:

> try to paint Debian as relatively unpopular.  I
> don't see what your
> objective is, other than to start and prolong
> pointless arguments.

What distrowatch tries to achieve is gauging
interesting in a distro, anything in the top 5 can be
considered to be rather well.  I _not_ putting down
Debian at all (last time I say that).  I supplied in a
helpful information, not more.  If you want to
stressed about it that up to you.

> > I been using Debian since 2.1, what about you?
>
> If true, this would mean that you upgraded through
> all 7 point releases of

Sorta yes and no.  With 2.2 I moved over to testing
after r3 as I needed stuff that was available only in
testing.  With 3.0 and did the usual dist-upgrade, but
as I been really using testing and unstable for quite
awhile I can't say I noticed anything major.  That
said I'll be doing a clean install of 3.0 next week
maybe it'll be more obvious then.

> It's surely a lot more effect[sic] than inventing
> history to suit your
> needs.

Very quickly then, I worked in a consultancy begin of
the 90s doing UNIX stuff (Solaris/SunOS/SCO/SGI) in
the City (London).  UNIX stuff slowly started to
slowly dry up after Win 95 came out and more so when
NT arrived properly.  There is a reverse trend now
thank goodness  and Linux is right at the front :-).
My history is based around the banking world, yours
maybe differant.

Jon