Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 08:22:23AM -0800, Jon Kent wrote:

[SNIP]
> The reasons I see people switch to Gentoo are :
>
> Its more fun
> Alot more up to date
> Easier to customise, down to which libraries you want
> to  support
>
> I'm tempted to say that Debian has gotten too big, has
> too many bosses (to coin a phrase) and is hampered at
> times by its own policy.
>
> I've been using Debian for years and have seen it
> grown alot over time.  However, it seems to me that
> the only _big_ thing Debian has on its side these days
> is dpkg/apt.  Everything else is out of date, a
> nightmare to setup and, to be honest, not fun anymore.

It seems there's a distinction in user categories to make here; of
course there's the upgrade-and-tweak-all-day-for-the-heck-of-it type,
which will find Gentoo irresistible. And for good reasons.

But don't forget there's also a category that runs linux as they would
run another unix: as a tool in some production role. "Fun" in that
respect means "no worries". And Debian is great for that: stable
releases get no new features, only security updates, and you /know/ that
those releases work great as they had a lot of QA.

In short, linux isn't just for fun, you know. Some people use linux
to work on other things than linux itself. And that's where Debian
shines. Let's keep it that way.

The idea to announce the state of testing/unstable once in a while to
show we've got the fancy stuff too does make sense though, IMHO.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info