Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> wrote:

> I'm not saying this is the only way that can happen; VNC could just
> have been built first and never rebuilt against the new libc6.  That
> happens a lot.  But this way you can upload packages which are already
> unbuildable.
>
> That's bad, mmkay?

As you noted, this would happen anyway if VNC was uploaded first.  If
we were building against testing, it would mean that this problem might
only be noticed after libc6 enters testing.

However, up until now, most of these changes have been bugs in the
application rather than glibc.  This means that it is the application
which has to be fixed, and most of them will not show obvious signs of
breakage until a new version is uploaded to unstable.  In fact, it is
quite likely that for rarely uploaded packages, this situation might
still exist after a Debian release is made.  IMHO in this case it doesn't
really matter if we only see the breakage of the application after
libc6 enters testing.

Of course, if glibc became more buggy such that build breakages where
the fault lies with it is the norm of the day, then the conclusion would
not stand.  But I have not lost all faith in the glibc maintainers yet.