Re: Debian Accessibility Project was: Re: linux for blinds

Andreas Tille wrote:
Sorry, I do not have the time to cooperate with any further project.
I will do all the best to make Debian the best distribution for all
purposes I could think off.  That's why I tried to convince other
projects which tried to build a Debian based distribution for a
special field to include their stuff into Debian and make Debian itself
better for special purposes.  In my opinion it is a plain waste of
resources to follow Debian development and adapt all your special
stuff again and again while not profitting from the great Debian
Bug Tracking System and the Security infrastructure.

Hello, I am one of the people involved in Free(b)soft (and Free(b)deb) project. Thank you for your comments. I would like to clarify some details. The goal of Free(b)deb project is not a separate distribution. The final goal is inclusion of accessibility enhancements and modifications into Debian (we are focused on accessibility for blind and visually impaired). Free(b)deb project is here to enable the concentrated development of those modifications (modified packages, some additioal packages and some meta packages). When these modifications are ready to take place in upstream Debian, the goal of Free(b)deb is finished.

Maybe the fact, that we want to make a Free(b)deb bootable CD-ROM is confusing. This CD-ROM is what we need right now to be able to bring Debian installations to our blind users. People in Brailcom (the non-profit organisation, which initiated this project) have 5 years of experience in providing Linux based services to blind users in Czech republic. We think, that incorporating all the changes into Debian itself is a long-term job but we need to make many installations right now and with current Debian it requires a lot of effort (but still Debian is the best of all solutions :-). This is why we want a special CD-ROM and this is also why we managed to get the sponsorship for it...

A more detailed description about Debian Internal Projects (which is
the right way to go for those tasks like yours in my opinion) is given
at

     http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/talks/200210_lux_internal

Please read this carefully.  At least I will add
     Debian-Accessibility
as further potential internal project for my next talk in this field ...

Yes, it is surely a good idea. We are ready to cooperate, however "accessibility" is quite a general goal (we are focussed on accessibility for blind and visually impaired people). Hopefully people concerned with other aspects of accessibility will join the project, when we start it.

We are ready to use all the advantages of "great Debian resources" and we appreciate any suggestions how to do it any better.

Thank you, best regards, Tomas Cerha.

--
PGP keyID: 0x0C441CA3

Looking for a *real* RAD tool? Try Emacs!