From: members-admin@lklug.pdn.ac.lk
[mailto:members-admin@lklug.pdn.ac.lk] On Behalf Of Dhammika Pathirana
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 11:13 AM
To: chanka perera
Cc: members@lklug.pdn.ac.lk
Subject: Re: Sound card problem

chanka perera wrote:

> Hi,
> In my Debian woody box sound card is not working I'm having creative
> vibra 128 card #sndconfig says Sound module not found you don't seems
> to be running a kernel with modular sound enable (soundcore.o was not
> found) and it's supported with Linux 2.2 but It's impossible because
> it's woody ;)
>
> In KDE it gives an error at startup
> Error while initializing sound drivers
> Device /dev/dsp can't be open (permision denied) even in root I
> changed #chmod 777 /dev/dsp after that it says (can't open no such
> device)
>
> In /dev there are 3 dsp files it might be the problem (its not
> selected the correct dsp file) but what the config file for sound
> cards?
>
> Please tell me how to config my sound card

First less /proc/modules and see whether the sound modules are loaded.
In your case I think it's emu10k.. something. soundcore should also be
loaded. If modules are not loaded check whether they have been compiled.

ls /lib/modules/kernel_version/kernel/drivers/sound/

If the modules are there just insmod module_name, make sure that module
dependencies are not broken. Meaning that modules are installed
according to their dependencies. U'd find the dependencies in
/lib/modules/kernel_version/modules.dep

Now if u've come this far then cat some_file > /dev/dsp, if everything
is fine then u'd hear some sound.

Else u'd have to recompile the kernel with the sound support, it's not
really difficult, but make sure that you don't make install the kernel.
First try to get the sound driver built into the kernel, this would make

it much easier to debug, once it's working u can build the driver as a
module. I assume that u'r famillier with recompiling the kernel, and if
u'r not just google, u'd find lots of howtos on it.

If you didn't get it working pls reply with the dmesg (kernel bootup
messages)

dhammika