Re: Test package apt repositories, and "Release" files.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:35:51PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Karl" == Karl M Hegbloom <karlheg@hegbloom.net> writes:
>  Karl> Just a reminder...  Will folks who place test packages in "apt"
>  Karl> repositories PLEASE put "Release" files in there along with "Packages"
>  Karl> and "Sources", so that we can use the man apt_preferences functionality
>  Karl> to "Pin" those test package repositories?
> 	A real Release file has md5sums of the Packages files, and has
>  a detached signature -- and I can't seem to find a straight forward
>  means of creating one.

There are two different sorts of Release files -- binary-*/Release which
is what Karl was talking about, and dists/*/Release{,.gpg} which is what
you're talking about. The former can be written by hand, and doesn't change
(except at release time), or can be generated from the latter. The latter
needs to be updated every time any Packages file changes, obviously.

It should be fairly straightforward to create a Release{,.gpg} set
yourself, the files aren't particularly complicated. Ripping out code from
"ziyi" in the katie suite might help.

Cheers,
aj