Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

From: knok@daionet.gr.jp (NOKUBI Takatsugu)
Subject: Re: Proposal - non-free software removal
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:25:01 JST

Prior to the cmap-adobe-japan1,2 Japanese users used to
use another mechanism i.e. VFlib to display Japanese fonts,
at least in ghostscript.

Perhaps at that time, xpdf didn't support Japanese so
Japanese users could use only ghostscript to display
Japanese PDF files (and from time to time Japanize patch
lost PDF support).

But VFlib cann't support Korean nor Chinese, that is, it is
Japanese specific.  In this respect, cmap-adobe-* might
be much better than VFlib.

> >> Perhaps they simply used acroread from non-free? Or perhaps the
> >> importance of pdf has increased and they could do without it then
> >> and cannot now.

This is also right.  The importance of PDF increases much.

> xpdf-japanese is required to display Japanese PDF with xpdf. It is
> also need to convert PDF to plain text with pdftotext.
>
> I'm not familiar about cmap-*.

In fact, cmap-adobe-* and xpdf-japanese/korean/chinese-*
are same kind of files so I believe they could be collected
to one package (per japanese/korean/chinese) to be used both
xpdf and ghostscript.

And Hamish Moffatt is now working to try to do so, I guess.

(Perhaps dvipdfm-cjk-cmap is also the same kind of package
as far as I understand)

Best regards,			2002/11/22

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.