Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 08:56:17PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:47:12AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > That doesn't explain why packages are depending on the newer libc6 in sid
> > and making them testing/sarge incompatible.
>
> It is customary for developers to use sid on their development systems, and
> the buildds use that, too.

I seriously doubt that the buildds actually run on sid.

> (FWIW I also dislike the avalanche effect with glibc deps.)

If testing is going to be of any use, there should be policy to only depend
on packages available in testing unless it absolutely requires something in
unstable.

IE: if it needs QT >>3.0, don't make it depend on QT >>3.0.3-2 unless there is
something in 3.0.3-2 that it depends on be it a bug fix or whatever.
Exceptions

Obviously, all of these other packages do NOT require libc6 2.3 in order to
compile and function.