Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:10:40 +1100
Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> Gentoo's growth is a sign that they are doing something right, if we
> cant even recognise that fact then its pointless continuing this
> conversation.
Well, i'm a gentoo-user, too. There are some things i like and some
things i don't.

If i had the choice, i wouldn't compile all the packages by myself and i
would even prefer Debian's Packagesystem over Gentoo's Portage.

But the one and only thing why i'm using Gentoo: It contains more
Software for the Desktop which i need. I don't have to download mplayer
manually or add an apt-source to get KDE3!

I hope (and i think) that the Debian-Desktop Project will get many
people back, if it succeeds!

Roman

P.S.: I would never choose Gentoo for a Server ;)

P.P.S.: Sorry for my bad english