Re: NF Compromise - Alternatives Nagging + planned removal date warning

On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 04:37 AM, Paul Hedderly wrote:

Then when ever you select pine, dselect/aptitude/... can flag up a page
saying
[...]
And then whenever a non-free pacakge is upgraded there could be a
debconf message:

This will teach our users to ignore messages produced by dselect and friends as well as by debconf. People will begin to hit OK without reading the message because they are so used to ignoring the messages.

That would leave us in the very unfortunate position of not being able to get the user to read important messages --- for example, ones warning you that unless you do foo and bar, your system probably won't boot.

I like the idea, just not the implementation; I suggest that suggesting replacements be the job of vrms or some package like that.[0] It could even be a more general system and suggest alternatives for all packages. We already have something like that in pseudo-packages.

[0]: Yes, I know there is an easier way to phrase that, along the
     lines of "or a s_______r package," but I don't know which
     letters go between the 's' and the 'r.' Sorry.