Re: Renaming of automake to automake1.4

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 12:52:26AM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > That's what they should do, the only real disadvantage is that it
> > makes the diff a bit bigger. But it makes the build much more
> > predictable and reliable. I wonder if a should in policy or a lintian
> > warning would be helpful.
>
> People will probably respond well to some example code that they can
> stuff in their rules files.  A rule named, say, "dist" or "debiandist".
>
> (I'd lean in favor of "dist" since the Debian-ness of it is already
> implied by the name of the rules file: debian/rules.)

---example---
dist:
        gettextize --force --copy; \
        libtoolize --force --copy; \
        aclocal; \
        automake --add-missing --force-missing --copy; \
        autoheader; \
        autoconf

.PHONY: dist
---end example---

In gettext 0.11.x, `gettextize' should be replaced by `autopoint',
since gettextize should only be used by the upstream maintainer as a
migration tool, whereas autopoint is designed for automation.

All the installed files are copied, not symlinked, so that the debian
diff can correctly represent the changes.

Other tools, like autoreconf /could/ be used, but only where you have
verified that it does the correct thing--it can interact badly with
gettextize and libtoolize, depending on which versions you are using.
You may also need extra options passing to e.g. aclocal or libtoolize,
which will need to be determined on a package-specific basis.

`debian/rules dist' isn't depended upon by any other rules e.g. the
build rule, because it *must* be run manually by the packager.  If the
build depends upon it, then you'll need to Build-Depend on all the
autotools, which is what we're actively avoiding here.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh
                "Liberty and Livelihood" - Support the Countryside Alliance