Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:31:36AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 07:59:11AM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:21:24PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > Changing the version number does not mean that they *did* change
> > > compatibility.  It only means that they *might* have changed it.  How
> > > are you to know in a concrete and automated way?
> >
> > Whatever happened to: minor version number change - binary compatible,
> > major version number change - source compatible or not compatible at all?
>
> Wrong direction. Old programs will still run with new glibc (well,
> unless they use internal symbols they shouldn't), thus it's
> binary-compatible in that direction.

Is that always the case? (Hum, I remember some 2.0.7-2.1 transition
"issues"). You're telling me ABI compatibility will never be broken
anymore, ever - including as another poster said, by not fully
compatible behaviour?

I hold the glibc team in very high regard too, but that'd be asking a
little too much, IMHO.

Cheers,

Emile.

--