Re: reading dpkg source

On Nov 19, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> 1) What is the point of Enhances:?  Does it have any advantage over
>    Recommends:/Suggests: + cooperation between developers?  (I know
>    there is no Enhances: support yet --- /usr/bin/dpkg seems to be OK
>    but dpkg-source will complain.  I don't know about apt or dselect.)

It allows package A to "enhance" package B without package B needing
to know anything about package A.  For example, if A is in non-free
and B is in main, the "A enhances B" relationship can be expressed
without B endorsing A in any way; this makes free software people
(like RMS) happier.  Particularly for the case where software is
distributed in places other than ftp.debian.org, this is a useful
capability.  (For example, "lame," which implements patented
algorithms and is not distributed by Debian, enhances "grip"; a
repository that held lame could declare this relationship without
anyone else who uses grip knowing/caring.)

> 2) What is the debbugs protocol in the Bugs: field?  dpkg doesn't care
>    what string is in it.

No, but bug reporting tools do care.  debbugs:<FQDN> expresses that
bugs should be submitted in the "debbugs" format to submit@<FQDN>, and
that a debbugs bug tracking system is at http://<FQDN>/.
mailto:<rfc822-address> is also valid (and IIRC was used by Progeny
for a brief period).

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@phy.olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager, Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Mississippi
125B Lewis Hall - 662-915-5765