On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:38:02AM +1100, Brian May <bam@debian.org> was heard to say:
> As far as I can tell, there is no free equivelent of these packages:
>
> povray                    Persistence of Vision raytracer
> povray-doc                Persistence of Vision raytracer
> povray-misc               Persistence of Vision raytracer - include files
>
> No do I know of any free project to replace them...
>
> (please tell me if one does exist though).

  I searched on Google or Freshmeat a bit back and found a few free
projects.  Most were toys, but I think there was one that looked like it
was planned to be useful.  It used Guile for its description language,
but I don't remember much else.

> For some reason nobody seems to be interested in developing this type of
> software anymore; since computers have increased so much in speed, I
> can't imagine why...

  Maybe because a lot of computer programmers are allergic to continuous
mathematics? :(  (a disease that seems to be worse among those who
program "for fun")

  Daniel

|                         You will soon forget this.                          |
\-- Does your computer have Super Cow Powers? ------- http://www.debian.org --/