Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

Rémi Letot wrote:> iain d broadfoot <ibroadfo@cis.strath.ac.uk> writes:

Rémi Letot wrote:

Peter Mathiasson <peter@mathiasson.nu> writes:

<couic>

Well, let them. Let them use a distribution where they always have
to read the license to know if they are can use the software for
commercial use.

Why so? One of the reasons that makes Debian so great is *because*
it's clearly defined for which packages I have to read the
license. For the main part I just know I can use the system. If I
install non-free software, I know I have to read the license. Don't
remove that possibility just for the sake of it.
Thanks,

i thought peter meant that if they left debian for other, less free
distros, they'd have to read the license.

Yes, and my answer says that in debian I know I can use everything
without reading the license. If I add non-free, I know I have to check
the licenses *for these packages only*. That's a great feature, and it
would be a shame to remove it.

Or is there something I don't understand or makle clear?

sorry, i misread your message.

i thought you had misread peters...

;-)

sorry again,