Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

iain d broadfoot <ibroadfo@cis.strath.ac.uk> writes:

> Rémi Letot wrote:
>> Peter Mathiasson <peter@mathiasson.nu> writes:

>> <couic>
>>
>>>Well, let them. Let them use a distribution where they always have
>>>to read the license to know if they are can use the software for
>>>commercial use.
>> Why so? One of the reasons that makes Debian so great is *because*
>> it's clearly defined for which packages I have to read the
>> license. For the main part I just know I can use the system. If I
>> install non-free software, I know I have to read the license. Don't
>> remove that possibility just for the sake of it.
>> Thanks,
>
> i thought peter meant that if they left debian for other, less free
> distros, they'd have to read the license.

Yes, and my answer says that in debian I know I can use everything
without reading the license. If I add non-free, I know I have to check
the licenses *for these packages only*. That's a great feature, and it
would be a shame to remove it.

Or is there something I don't understand or makle clear?
--
Rémi