Re: Flame against non-free burning, time to think.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:07:04PM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > Clearly, 2.7% is too high a threshhold for some.  How small shall the
> > propotion get before we're not screwing our users by dumping non-free?
> > 2.5%?  2.0%  1.5%?  1.0% 0.001%?
>
> Replace my beloved pine, and I'll start using mpg321 instead, and I'm all
> set :D

I switched from pine to mutt a few years ago, and did not find it
difficult.  Back then I didn't even know about the pine-ish keybinding
muttrc phenomenon (maybe remapping keys wasn't even supported in mutt
0.59 or whatever it was -- it was long time ago).

By many standards, mutt is *already* a pine replacement (not to mention
elm-me, mh, evolution, kmail, etc. etc. etc.), plus there's the problem
that we already can't ship modified pine binaries, even in non-free,
because of the license.

So, what *are* you really using non-free for?  Just because vrms lists
it doesn't mean you can get it from Debian.  For instance, I still had
pgp-us listed.  "apt-get --reinstall install pgp-us" told me that even
if Debian scrapped non-free today, I wouldn't be any *worse* off with
regard to that package, because Debian already got rid of it.

Anyway, what concerns me about the demands that non-free be kept until
there is a "replacement" in free is exactly the argument you're
proposing.  You want much more than just a replacement -- you want a
clone.  That's setting the bar awfully high.  With that logic people
wouldn't migrate from Windows to Linux in the first place.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Religion is regarded by the common
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    people as true, by the wise as