Re: URLs on debian.org/distrib/packages pages

Josip Rodin wrote:
> The dpkg developers haven't implemented any other control field to put this
> in, so the long Description: is the decent workaround.

I disagree: The Description field is not intended to be a random
dumping-ground for any information that cannot fit into some other
field.

> And it's not like new metadata fields are a taboo topic, Origin and Bugs
> have been added relatively recently. Something like Upstream-URI could be
> added just as well.

Indeed. Like I said, I'd support any such amendment, and patching dpkg
for a new field is easy.

> > and because this conflicts with established practice and policy,
> > so now we have a sub-optimal way (what policy says to do), and a
> > different, conflicting, and also sub-optimal thing (what developers
> > reference says to do), and you have to look in two places to find
> > anything.
>
> I really don't see what you're talking about. This is putting the _same_
> information (the same upstream URL) in two _entirely_ non-conflicting places
> (the Description: control field and the copyright file).

I meant conflicting for mind-share.

--
see shy jo