Re: Why are modules and modules.conf not versioned?

Eric Richardson <eric.richardson@milagrosoft.com> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
[...]
>> There is no real need to version modules.conf or the files in
>> /etc/modutils/, because
>> | if `kernelversion` == 2.2
>> | elseif `kernelversion` == 2.4
>> | endif
>> works and should work on non-Debian systems, too. You can use `uname
>> -r` if you have to match the exact version.

> From a superficial standpoint, I see the file /etc/init.d/modutils on
> boot reading line by line the modules from /etc/modules and calling
> modprobe. Somehow the options must be read from /etc/modules.conf.

*modprobe* reads the options from /etc/modules.conf.

> These are the two files I see modconf modifying.

Afaik modconf only modifies /etc/modules. (I do not know for sur I
always purge modconf.) It probably adds

mymodule its_option=1

to /etc/modules.

> Where does the /etc/modutils/ dir come into the picture?

update-modules(8) it /basically/ does
{ find /etc/modutils/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 cat ;} > /etc/modules.conf.

> Is there other documentation I can look at that would let me see a
> more complete picture?

The manpages. update-modules(8) modules(5) modules.conf(5) modprobe(8)
insmod(8) /usr/share/doc/modutils/module-policy.Debian.gz
            cu andreas