>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian> Manoj Srivastava writes ("Re: Discussion - non-free software removal"):
 >> Hosting solutions do not grow on trees, and while something
 >> the size and impact of Debian may get free hosting, smaller, and
 >> non-free, packages shall not.

 Ian> Surely it is both wrong and unwise of us to spend karma points, from
 Ian> our hard-won political credit and moral high ground, on things that
 Ian> are explicitly not our goals, which we don't necessarily approve of,
 Ian> and which are certainly not so widely respected ?

	I am afraid I do not do free software to get karma points, or
 revel in my conquest of the ziggurat; I really believe in the
 community helping each other to achieve things; and by virtue of
 building on each others efforts, with the freedom to adapt and modify
 the solutions of others (standing on the shoulders of giants thing).

	So if I can help people in the fold by temporarily providing
 services for software that is not free, but which is becoming an ever
 smaller fraction of our offerings, I think we are serving the
 community better.

	manoj
--
 "Hello," he lied. Don Carpenter, quoting a Hollywood agent