Re: suggestion: DFDG - Debian Free Documentation Guidelines

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:17:25AM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
> You should.  But that criterion doesn't cover all cases that people
> are concerned about.  For instance, no matter how much you modify a
> piece of software, why do you need to modify the RFCs?  Or, consider
> GFDL invariant sections.

You might want to modify RFCs because a couple of pages could make a nice
insert in your own manual.  Or you're drafting a successor to an RFC.  Or
you're basing a protocol on one described in an RFC.

DFSG already allows there to be a term such as "You may distribute a
modified form of the RFC822 document, but you may not call it RFC822 if it's
been modified."  To me, that seems sufficient.

-- John