leafnode vs nntpcache (was: Discussion - non-free software removal)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Herbert Xu wrote:

> >> nntpcache
> >
> > maybe leafnode
>
> I'm not familiar with leafnode but it seems to be missing some rather
> important features that are present in nntpcache, in particular, the
> support for multiple NNRP servers.

leafnode supports having more than on NNTP server:

| server = news.cis.dfn.de
|         username = ..
|         password = ..
| server = news.cosy.sbg.ac.at
|         username = ..
|         password = ..
| server = news.tahina.priv.at
|         username = ..
|         password = ..
| server = news.lokigames.com
| server = news.freshmeat.net
| server = news.php.net
| server = news.lrz-muenchen.de

But AFAIK leafnode works quite a bit different to nntpcache (I think).
While the former regularily fetches all articles from subscribed groups
(it automatically figures out which groups users subscribe to) via cron
the latter only fetches articles on demand and caches them.

Of course this could be completely wrong - I've never used nntpcache.

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal