Re: OpenOffice.org new unstable packages available for testing

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 02:30:27PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > If third parties choose to ignore the ".org"
> > (I know I do) there's nothing sun can do about it...
>
> I think Debian should drop the ".org" from the package
> names.  The only reason to keep the ".org" would be to
> distinguish it from an "openoffice" package containing
> the software whose author owns the "OpenOffice"(tm) name
> in certain countries.  But if OpenOffice(tm) is commercial
> software (as I am assuming it is ... I can't find it in
> Google, although there are some other things called by
> the name) then there will never be such a package in Debian.

That's not the point. The OpenOffice trademark holders would likely not allow
us to use their trademark to refer to a different product. That would be
their right as trademark holders. Whether or not we package their
product is not relevant.

We couldn't make another beverage called Coke, so we can't make another
office suite called OpenOffice.

> The copyright on "OpenOffice" makes it illegal to
> market another software product as "OpenOffice".

Copyright does not enter into it.

Hamish