Re: [desktop] Seeking Summit to Discuss X Display and Session Management

<quote>
Marcelo wrote:

I am probably to blame for this.  Back when I was maintaining wdm I remember
there was some silly thing regarding the list of window managers in the window
manager selection box which was implemented by some hack in a copy of the
default Xsession script.  Since then Xsession has been split in lots of little
tiny bits (and that's A Good Thing(TM)).  I don't know what wdm is doing
nowadays, but if it isn't using the default Xsession script for some reason,
the problem should be fixed.

Well, hopefully the current wdm maintainer is reading this.
</quote>

I am not the maintainer but I can tell you what wdm does now.

/etc/X11/wdm/Xsession is a wrapper script and it is very small so I will
toss it here:

magus@legend:~$ cat /etc/X11/wdm/Xsession
#!/bin/sh

# This is an Xsession wrapper for use with wdm to take care of the #
handling of the 'NoChange' window manager selection option.

if [ $# -eq 1 ] ; then
&nbsp; echo $1 &gt;$HOME/.wm_style
&nbsp; shift
fi
exec /etc/X11/Xsession `cat $HOME/.wm_style` $@

So all it does is handle the No Change option and pass the buck to the correct
Xsession script. From this point things run correctly. What ever you save in
your last session is what you get. I use this as a replacement for gdm
becauseI can't stand the backgrounding of processes that gnome-session-manager
does.

<quote>
Just name an OPN channel and a date, and I'll see if I can make it there.
</quote>

Please do. I would love to sit in, as I will probably be tinkering with this
heavily in the future.

Thanks,

Matthew McGuire
Independant Debian Zealot