Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 03:28:18PM -0500, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >Previously Colin Walters wrote:
> >>I think becoming the most portable free OS is worthy of a big version
> >>number bump...
> >
> >We have some major catching up to do with NetBSD if we want to
> >accomplish that..
>
> AIUI, the plan is to simply absorb them. ;-)
>
> More seriously, one of the long-term effects of the work that Matthew
> Garrett and Joel Baker are doing with netbsd-i386 is that it should
> become possible to pick up as many netbsd archs as people want.

... as long as there is someone willing to put in the groundwork of getting
such a thing bootstrapped. Which is a much smaller project than what we're
doing, but still fairly non-trivial. I consider this a good thing, really;
it will provide backpressure against bloating the archive for the same of
a handful of users, at least unless one of them happens to be very good at
it (which, basically, puts it in the same position as quite a few of the
non-i386 Linux arches :)

I don't know that I'd say Debian is the most portable free OS; I would
say, however, that the split is probably 90/10, between "folks who
support making Debian more portable and cleaning up code" (apart from any
religious issues over NetBSD or FreeBSD or whatever else), and "folks who
really could care less". Since I probably spend more time than is perhaps
warranted griping about other matters, I would like to pause here, and say
something to that 90%:

Thank you.

For all the things I think could be better, I really couldn't ask for a
group more supportive of this sort of effort. From working with the *BSD
and Hurd porting efforts, to fixing bugs exposed by Junichi's auto-build
scanning, and dealing with all of the other problems that get exposed -
and, more to the point, fixed - when people do the strangest things to the
code you package and maintain, I have, with very few expections, been truly
impressed by how willing Debian as a whole is to put forth the effort to
Get It Right (tm).
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/