Re: Problem with VIA C3 chip and libcrypto

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 04:14:42PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Nov 2002, Oliver M. Bolzer wrote:
> > Nevertheless, it IS a real problem. As the cmov instruction is OPTIONAL
> > for i686 but GCC uses it for 686, that is the cause of the problem. That
> > the kernel compiles itself as 585 if a C3 is specified is simply a
> > work-around. The correct solution is to fix GCC, but for now, can we
> > either not ship a i686-optimized libssl or just hardlink the
> > i585-version into the i686-directory ? We have lived with the i386
> > version long enough, using a slightly less optimized version for the
> > time being is MUCH better than simply breaking on C3 machines.
>
> That's no real fix.  Any other binary compiled for i686 will break royally
> on C3.  The correct workaround is to downgrade it kernel-wise to a i586
> until gcc is fixed, and all i686 stuff recompiled... or teach ld.so to think
> that a C3 is a i586 for the time being.

I note that Alan just moved the kernel from compiling using -march=i586
to -march=i486, in the absence of -march=c3.

GCC's policy seems to be to call the c3 a 486... perhaps the kernel is
the one which should change.  The best place to pursue this
conversation is probably on the GCC list or on linux-kernel, however.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz