Re: [desktop] Real users experience.

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 11:04, Jesus Climent wrote:

> The fonts. The installation selected the highest possible resolution so
> everything looked small and almost unreadable. Mr Joe Average should be
> able to change that.

Hmmm... I must be weird; the first thing I always do with my debian
desktop systems is set fonts smaller...

Give me anything larger than 12px type in my menus, and I'll beat ya'
with an Anime-class hammer ;-)

> The fonts did not have AA by default. And that was also a no-no. Used to
> the nice AA in Windows some pages looked ugly.

Hmmm? Windows doesn't (last time I checked, which was yesterday) do
anti-aliased fonts, at least on XP. Mac OS X does; maybe that is what
you're thinking of?

The problem with the fonts is just their poor quality. Install some good
fonts, and that problem will go away.

Unfortunately, there are few DFSG-free good fonts.

> Lack (or poor) Java/JavaScript support. Some pages kept on crashing, and
> netscape-fonts problem.

Even with a recent Mozilla you had this problem?

> Application names. Aethera/Mozilla/Galeon/TheGIMP/Evolution/... don't
> mean a thing for a non /. reader. Things like

Neither do things like "Microsoft Works," "AppleWorks," or "PowerPoint."
They're just names...

But it would be nice to have some way for people to find them better.

<aside>
  I don't think menus are the proper way to select from the several
  hundred applications Debian installs.
</aside>

> Unified login. Since it was a common computer they tend to leave the
> session open. I set different account for each of them, but they left
> them open (rushing for the bus/other reasons) and when other user came
> and could not find the bookmarks he/she left, they were puzzled.

This is an interesting problem; an easy solution might be to put some
indicator of who is logged in --- e.g., the person's name somewhere.

Alternatively, lock the screen after inactivity, and explain how to
switch to another virtual console.

This is, IMO, an interesting (read: hard) problem to solve.