Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 27-Oct-02, 16:23 (CST), "Nathaniel W. Turner" <nturner-debian-kde@houseofnate.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 October 2002 10:21 am, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > I'm not convinced. Different toolkits behave differently. A naive user
> > shouldn't have to understand why their KDE-based mail client behaves
> > slightly differently to their Gnome-based news client. I dislike using
> > non-GTK applications, and I'm willing to accept a slight reduction in
> > functionality to achieve this.
>
> This is an argument for *not installing non-<your favorite toolkit>
> applications*, NOT an argument for keeping the menus seperate.
>
> If you don't want non-Gtk applications in your menu, don't install them!

Uh, Debian is multi-user OS. Just because one user doesn't want to use a
particular app doesn't mean you can delete the app.

A better solution (although we're getting very tweaky) is to allow the
user to filter the menu. The Debian menu system supports user-specific
menus, all that would need to be done is provide some toolkit specific
update functions and an easy way to access them. It's a Simple Matter Of
Programming.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland