Re: semi-moderating debian lists

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Duncan Findlay wrote:

> Here's an idea. Instead of moderating messages with scores over 2 or
> 3, set up a TMDA type system, where high scoring messages from users
> that have never posted or subscribed are bounced back with a message
> asking them to reply with a "password", or reply to a different
> address, or visit a webpage or something. When they do, they are added
> to the whitelist and can post freely. This one-time delay would only
> apply to suspect spammers. Why should _we_ check mails manually for
> spamminess? Why can't we make the user prove to us he's not a spammer.

I already proposed something very similar, and it was rejected.
Read the archives of debian-vote, I was going to propose a general
resolution and sent a draft first. Manoj said it would be "treating
our users as dirt".

I would not mind replying to a cookie once in a lifetime, but apparently
some people *would* mind.

> Some will argue that this kind of system is incredibly obnoxious and
> annoying. I agree. However, lots of spam is incredibly annoying too. I
> hate it when people install this kind of system on their personal
> e-mail, but properly configured on a mailing list, this could be quite
> beneficial.
>
> > > Plus, I feel that moderation takes away from the overall "openness" of
> > > the Debian project. Sure, only slightly spammy messages are moderated,
> > > but still, it reduces the community feel.
> >
> > Spam also reduces the "community feel". When I see a spam on a debian
> > lists I think: Who invited this guy to write here?
> >
> > Debian should not be open to spammers and a small delay in spammy
> > messages will not reduce the "community feel", it will increase it
> > since we will have less spam.
>
> Small delay? We're talking many hours, most likely. Realistically, we
> aren't going to have moderators working 24/7. You may have many
> volunteers to moderate now, but it'll all wear off after a few weeks,
> and you'll be short on volunteers that really want to perform this
> very boring and time consuming task.

Moderators would be distributed across different time zones. It would
be silly to have them all in the US or all of them in Europe, for
example.

> Even if it's not as consuming as I think it would be, it's more
> consuming than my proposal, which is automated.

Yes, I agree. I invite you to convince people (specially Manoj) that a
cookie system which ensures that every mail address is valid is the
way to go.

I will be happy with *any* way which reduces spam considerably, but we
must do something about it ASAP. Our lists have distributed too many
spam already.

Thanks.