Re: A Round of Removals

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:37:09 -0500, Steve Langasek
<vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 11:23:41PM -0400, Daniel Martin wrote:
>> > Yes and what think about create an acroread-installer package?
>> Not allowed.  Yes, acroread is THAT non-free.  Really.
>
>Technically, Adobe can't unilaterally impose license restrictions on
>you; if you don't actually *use* their software, they can't stop you
>from writing an installer for it.  Not that I'm recommending that you
>*do* this; I don't think we should be encouraging people to use such
>abhorrently non-free software when there exist free alternatives that
>are just as good for most applications, and can be readily improved as
>deficiencies are found.

As far as I know there is not yet a free pdf reader available that can
do all features of the latest acrobad specification. Giving the
history with adobe, there is no doubt that all adobe-written pdf
generators will soon use exactly these features.

I amnot familiar with the DMCA, but am I overly pessimistic when I
suspect that there will be DMCA issues when it comes to reverse
engineer the latest pdf format?

Greetings
Marc