Re: [Desktop] What accounts on a machine?

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:52:35 -0400
Duncan Findlay <duncf@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm 100% sure the consensus will be "root" should be left as-is. Think
> of all the documentation that would need to be changed. (Not just
> Debian, but upstream too) Think about how much of a colossal waste of
> time that would be.

Having another 0 uid/gid user isn't hard, and doesn't break anything. Is it usefull? I don't know. Asking to the set "the Administrator (root) password:" doesn't seem to be all that hard. Is it helpfull? Yes. Will clueless users remember it? Doubtful. Really, how often is the root (admin) password asked for? You don't want users running about as root...so...

> Either think things through before proposing, or please leave such
> ridiculous proposals on debian-user. Or in /dev/null.

huff. puff. cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null; Thanks for playing nicely.

Thomas