Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Saturday 26 October 2002 2:08 am, Luke Seubert wrote:
> On 10/25/2002 1:23 AM, Miles Bader at miles@lsi.nec.co.jp wrote:
> > Luke Seubert <ls.maillist@verizon.net> writes:
> >> However, the Basic Menu needs to be kept utterly simple, otherwise, it
> >> defeats the purpose of such a menu in the first place.
> >
> > Are `utterly simple' and `auto-generated acording to the installed
> > packages' incompatible?
>
> No.  You are right.  The "utterly simple" menus would be a subset of the
> "everything AND the kitchen sink" menu based upon installed packages.
>
> > Even if the set of apps in a Basic Menu were hand-tailored (as may be
> > necessary), it should at least automatically remove anything that isn't
> > installed.
>
> Agreed.

I have waded through most of the archives with this subject before joining
this list and have seen the above concensus building.  I have helped a number
of different groups of new computer users create menus in Windoze over the
years and I wanted to give a slightly different viewpoint.

Firstly, I absolutely agree that we need to identify simple basic set of
programs that should be readily accessible on top level menu (ie immediately
after hitting the menu button) or one level down.  I think the set may change
on who the user is - but I also think we can manage this a little if you
consider who the installer might be.

Without commenting on what application might be chosen - I think that common
applications that everyone needs are

Web Browser
File Browser
Email
Word Processor (with printing set up)

but at that point I think you need differenciation between home users and
office users

Office Users need

Calender
PDA Sync (optional)
Spreadsheet

Home users need

Dial up (optional)
Games
MP3/CD  player - along with volume controls etc
IRC or instant messenger type software

The second point I wanted to add, and where I disagree with the concensus that
we don't want deep complex menu structures,  was that in my experience that
new users quite like an extra menu entry that then feeds them in to a more
complete heirarchy of things.  Some, although not all, then over time start
to explore this additional menu and find out about the new offerings and
options.  I would stress, they are only happy with this if the things they
need to do are easy to find, and this menu is only for other stuff that might
be interesting to find later.

- --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk