Re: [desktop] Don't assume you know users

On 10/25/2002 11:22 PM, Craig Dickson at crdic@pacbell.net wrote:

> No, that's not at all what I said. Not even close. I was not saying that
> the discussion had to be about strictly technical matters. I was saying
> (in context) that too much of these threads have been just a lot of
> pointless back and forth about "users want this", "no, users want that",
> "why don't we have a preference for it", "too many preferences are bad,"
> "okay, well, I think users want this", "no, users want that", around and
> around without conclusion. And necessarily so, because nobody seems to
> have any really solid basis for their position. There's a lot of
> half-understood, piecemeal usability theory being tossed around, but not
> in a way that leads to a unified solution that really makes sense.

Ahh, OK.  Now I understand what you meant.

Furthermore, I think your description of the [desktop] discussion is an
accurate one.  There are a lot of ideas, vague ones even, being tossed out
into a hurly burly of opinions and a multiplicity of other conflicting and
half baked ideas.

This is called brainstorming, as I am sure you already know.  It is a very
specific kind of creative process.  Several times in my posts to the
[desktop] threads, I have said, "Yeah, we're brainstorming right now", or
words to that effect.

Personally, I believe that this can be a very useful tool for creating good
solutions.  A preliminary and necessary creative process, leading to the
"unified solution" which you spoke of; which is after all the real goal.

I believe that this brainstorming process is, properly and of its own
accord, now winding down.  And that some solid proposals and solutions will
be forthcoming.

If you think brainstorming is a waste of bandwidth, I would respectfully
disagree.  If you think this sort of Debian Desktop brainstorming should not
be happening in debian-devel, I would support your request to move it into a
more appropriate venue.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert