Re: The Debian Desktop Project (was: Re: Make Debian better (Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot))

Luke Seubert wrote:

That said, I did post a query in this forum asking if Debian Desktop should
consider offering, during the install, IceWM tweaked to look like Win95/98
so that folks coming over from Windows would immediately be in a comfort
zone and quickly productive.  Haven't heard any response to that idea yet.
Heh, heresy met with silence :-)

Oh, I missed that one.  Yes, I *like* the idea.

But I'm completely heretical on this theme anyway: I think where a user interface can be similar to the most widely used desktop OS, and it doesn't break anything or have other serious drawbacks, well, go for it. The major thing about a UI that leads to long-term productivity is *consistency*, and consistency across platforms helps.

Put another way, sometimes the *way* you do things UI-wise *just doesn't matter* that much; the fact that you do them the *sam*e is much more important.

UI consistency between different open source *programs* is absolutely horrible at present, but that's another issue.

Yes, I run Win98 at work, and IceWM at home.

Hell, I'd like to cut-and-paste with control keys in X, just like in Win98; but I guess that would screw up Emacs, to name one. But, seriously, Luke, consistent and (dare I say it) Windows(Mac?)-like handling of the clipboard might be an issue for DebDesk to look at.