Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 7:26 PM, Miles Bader at miles@gnu.org wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 05:29:56PM -0400, Luke Seubert wrote:
>> However, that does not mean that Debian Desktop should not care.  KDE apps
>> designed to run optimally under the KDE Desktop environment.  Apps run
>> better and faster because the libraries are already pre-loaded.
>>
>> So, if Desktop Debian wants users to have a desktop that "Just Works",
>> without any puzzling delays waiting for some apps to load - everything nice
>> and smooth and well integrated - then it makes sense for DD to worry about
>> these issues.
>
> Perhaps DD should _think_ about this issue -- for instance, if it has to
> choose only one terminal program to display in a menu, it should make an
> `environmentally aware' choice (KDE for KDE, Gnome for Gnome, Joe's Wackyterm
> for everybody else) -- but it's absurd to base the _whole menu structure_
> around such a piddling little detail.

I am not quite sure what you mean.  I don't think the whole menu structure
is being based upon any one piddling detail - but I am not sure which
piddling detail you mean.  Please clarify a bit so that I can understand and
then address your concern properly.

> [I think that in many case it will be a non-issue because a system will only
> have the main KDE apps installed or the main Gnome apps installed, not both.]

Good point.  This would tend to argue in favor of segregated menus then,
with GTK apps showing up when one is using the Gnome desktop, and QT apps
showing up when one is in the KDE desktop.  Few newbie type users are likely
to install both Gnome and KDE, so the menus should be designed with this in
mind.  Do I understand this correctly as your position?

Cheers,
Luke Seubert