Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 12:59 AM, Miles Bader at miles@lsi.nec.co.jp wrote:

> Daniel Stone <dstone@kde.org> writes:
>> Not necessarily. When I use KDE, I largely want to use KDE apps. I
>> personally think GNOME/KDE should offer their own menus, with a submenu
>> in each category for "Non-{GNOME,KDE} Applications". I don't see a
>> problem with this, i.e. how our KDE3 packages do it.
>
> It sounds bizarre, actually, to classify programs by which toolkit they use.
> I don't think most users really care.

Correct.  Most users coming over from Mac or Windows don't care about the
whole QT versus GTK library and toolset issue.

However, that does not mean that Debian Desktop should not care.  KDE apps
are designed to run optimally under the KDE Desktop environment.  Apps run
better and faster because the libraries are already pre-loaded.  Same
applies to Gnome and GTK apps.

So, if Desktop Debian wants users to have a desktop that "Just Works",
without any puzzling delays waiting for some apps to load - everything nice
and smooth and well integrated - then it makes sense for DD to worry about
these issues.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert