Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

Hi,

At Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:09:39 -0700,
Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Let's select the best of breed with reason.  I think one for barebome C
> locale and one for UTF-8/multibyte is reasonable.  So why not one from
> xterm/rxvt/... and one from mlterm/...  I have hardtime imagining X
> without the good old (stable) xterm :-)

Though I think this is a good way for experienced users, it is not
very good choice for Debian Desktop Project.  It is because users
have to know which terminal supports their needed encodings, for
example, kterm for Japanese, hanterm for Korean, xiterm+thai for
Thai, and so on.  There will be many menu items for terminals for
various encodings.

Also, users who prefer xterm because it is "good old" is those who
are experienced, though "stable" is certainly an advantage of xterm.

Anyway, if xterm will be the default, I think it must be
"XTerm*Locale: true" mode which would be available in XFree86 4.3,
which is not proved to be very stable.  Thus, xterm's advantage
(stability proved by long history) won't be utilized.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/