Re: man page with standard gnome options

Package: bash
Version: 2.05b-3
Severity: minor

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 12:39:01PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> I disagree.  It just doesn't make sense to move bash's builtins(1)
> page to anywhere else.

Sure it does.  There is no command called "builtins", and the manpage
doesn't even index based on the names of the builtins it describes (and
it probably shouldn't given that many of the builtins have separate
implementations in Debian):

$ man -a -w : . [ alias bg break case command
No manual entry for :
No manual entry for .
/usr/share/man/man1/test.1.gz
No manual entry for alias
No manual entry for bg
/usr/share/man/man2/unimplemented.2.gz
No manual entry for case
/usr/X11R6/man/man3/Command.3.gz

..and so forth.  Therefore, nothing is really gained by calling the
manpage "builtins", and nothing would be lost by moving it to section 7.

My suggestion is to rename the manpage to "bash_builtins" or
"bashbuiltins" (so that other shells could do something similar without
causing collisions), and move it to section 7.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I'm sorry if the following sounds
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    combative and excessively personal,