Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

Very nice, this is exactly what I had in mind when the question was
first posed (something that worked with upstream, taking into account
their quirks).  I'm not sure how it's configured, but the ability to
define possible configuration values per-package, as well as format
(php, perl, shell-style, bind, apache, ini, etc) would be essential in
allowing a user to
a) use a unified interface for all programs
b) bootstrap a new config file for a program, that may not already
provide one (the paper describes wizards as a method for doing this; I'd
settle for a button on the GUI that generates a config file w/ default
values filled in)
c) view all possible configuration options, with a description of each
(with i18n, of course).
d) potentially administer a group of machines, either by providing
templates w/ desired values for each machine (more work) or some sort of
network communication w/ master/slave topology (less work).

I'd be happy to add language files for my packages for something like
that..

--
It's not denial.  I'm just selective about the reality I accept.
	-- Bill Watterson