Re: Make Debian better (Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot)

El día 21 oct 2002, Colin Walters escribía:
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 03:07, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>
> > Well, a valid large bug report. Lots of things that are really broken from
> > User's point of view. Some of them are already mentioned in the Woody's
> > development, but nobody payed attention (since the typical developer install
> > only once and does not realize how uncomfortable the thing is for the first
> > time user). I suggest to create a "debian-usability" Mailing List, moderated,
> > where users and interested developers can discuss about such issues.
>
> I have been thinking recently about starting a Debian Desktop
> subproject, which is pretty strongly related to what you're talking
> about.  Its main motto would be "Software which Just Works".
>
> There are a lot of things we need to fix to make Debian usable.  Some of
> them are already in progress, like using discover to detect hardware.
> Our X configuration is OK, but could be better.  To the vast majority of
> people in the world, a console is not usable.
> And yes, we really do need to bite the bullet and have some sort of
> user-friendly graphical system configuration program.  webmin might be a
> way to do this.

 As the mantainer, I'll try ximian-setup-tools (gnome-setup-tools).
 It's being ported to GNOME2, and developers are using Debian.
 Any help we could provide them will boos the development a lot. And
 also, backends could be used to make some frontend for KDE. GST people
 would also like to see that, but we don't know any Spanish KDE
 developer to whine about.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org