Bits from the uw-imap maintainer [update]

Just an update on some of the issues raised last time around.

Last night  I upload upstream 2002 RC8 to my apt-repository (see below for
URLs)

A method has been found for enabling plaintext logins without recompiling.
I thought of making this an option in the debconf dialog but ultimately
decided not to because upstream only half-heartedly supports this (though
it seems to be quite stable) and people should be encouraged not to use
plaintext logins.  But if that's what you want to do, the documentation
will show you how.

As to the security of self-signed certificates, that's the best that can
be done right now.  If someone can contribute a brief and simple
explanation of the pros and cons involved, I'll gladly include it in the
package.

kerberos seems to work nicely.

Thanks to your help there is some documentation on how to set up SSL or
TLS in the popular mail clients but if you have anything to add please let
me know.

Nobody has reported any problems to me so if you could just bang on this a
little more, I'll upload to Debian (and make the woody .debs available
somewhere) in a few days.  The apt-sources are:

 (for woody)

 deb http://people.debian.org/~jaldhar/imap-experimental woody/
 deb-src http://people.debian.org/~jaldhar/imap-experimental woody/

 (for sarge/sid)