apt always wants to re-install a deb

Hi all,

I've somehow managed to create a package in my local apt repository that
insists on continually re-installing itself on apt-get upgrade.

The package is the unstable version of ssmtp (2.60.1), that was
downloaded and built on a woody system using apt-get -t unstable source
ssmtp, followed by a `fakeroot debian/rules binary'.

The package itself installs cleanly on woody and works fine.  However,
every time I apt-get upgrade, it re-installs, regardless of if it's been
updated in the private apt source.

My /etc/apt/preferences file is:

Package: *
Pin: release a=woody
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 100

My repository is generated using

dpkg-scanpackages dists/woody/main/binary-i386 /dev/null \
        | gzip > dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

The systems that this occurs on are all up to date woody.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing about setting up a
repository or building a deb?