Re: Need help with bug#130805 (crash on Sony Vaio laptops)

Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net> writes:

>> > I don't have a USB floppy drive so I can't test this,
>>
>> Actually you can.  The problem occurs when no floppy drive
>> is attached.  Do you think the USB hard locks could occur
>> nevertheless?  I would be glad if you could try the
>> MAKEFLOPPIES call as described above.
>
> With the fdutils from stable (the install went fine, too):
>
> greyskull:/home/piman# /usr/sbin/MAKEFLOPPIES -g
> Creating "/dev/fd0", ID=0, Type=4 (1.44M)
> Creating "/dev/fd1", ID=1, Type=2 (1.2M_AT)
> Drive 2 is not installed or not configured, skipping

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (running Winblows).  It has problems with the USB
devices on a nearly daily basis.  It stops recognizing that devices are
connected, and the "cure" is to unplug the USB cable for that device, wait
five seconds, and plug it back in.  (I would never recommend this type of
laptop to anyone!  It the worst experience I've ever had with any laptop
computer.)

Anyway, although the system shouldn't crash when one of these devices is
accessed, there's likely a hardware issue involved, and it's not a problem
limited to Linux.

Derrell